We at Refresh-ology have begun to carry doTERRA essential oils, not only for their aromatherapy benefits, but for the many other benefits they can provide to our clients looking for natural, safe alternatives to synthetics we stock our medicine and cleaning cabinets with.*
Lavender is the quintessential aromatherapy used in spas to create a relaxed and calming atmosphere. It has earned this stereotype for good reason, as (most) everyone loves it, and many have found that using it aromatically does wonders to encourage restful sleep at night. However, there are so many other uses and benefits to Lavender!
Research on Lavender essential oil has found it:
– Has a positive effect on the autonomic nervous system, helping to lower blood pressure, regulate heart rate and stress response
– Induces sleep
– Has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic, and antifungal properties
– Aids in hormone balance
– Stimulates healthy respiratory system function
– Aids in digestion
Here are many ways to incorporate this essential oil into your life:
- Don’t have an essential oil diffuser? Add a drop or two of Lavender to your pillowcase or bedding prior to going to sleep.
- Add a few drops to your bath, or on the floor of your shower to help you relieve stress and wind down after a long day.
(While Lavender is one of the few oils that can be applied “neat,” it is always a good idea to test for any skin sensitivity first, and combine essential oils with a carrier oil, such as fractionated coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, or grapeseed, to prevent irritation. For adults, typical dilution is 1 drop of Lavender essential oil to 3 drops carrier oil.)
- Apply a couple drops to the bottoms of your feet before bedtime.
- Place on temples or back of neck when stressed or anxious.
- Apply immediately after a bug bite, as Lavender’s anti-inflammatory properties will diminish the irritation and pain.
- For chafed, sunburned, razor burned, or mild burns on skin, apply a dilution of Lavender and carrier oil to soothe irritation.
- Cooking: add a drop or two to marinades, baked goods, honey, or drinks
– Skip the air fresheners, add Lavender essential oil to a spray bottle with water and spray your furniture, closet, car, or anywhere else that could use it.
– Mix 1 cup baking soda with 10 drops Lavender, sprinkle on mattress, car floor, or carpet that needs freshening and cleaning. Wait 1 hour and vacuum up.
Interested in learning more about the basics of essential oils and how to use them? We have an upcoming Introduction to Essential Oils workshop for you to join in on:
Wednesday, July 12th 5:30-7pm
You can book your slot online! The class is $15 and includes samples and informative handouts. We also carry 5ml bottles for $12.50
*The indicated uses I’m giving here pertains to doTERRA oils only, as many oils on the market are not well regulated by the FDA, and can claim “100% pure” contain fillers and additives which are not advertised and therefore can be dangerous to apply topically, much more so internally. Please do your homework on any essential oil brand, and if you are interested in doTERRA’s commitment to Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oils, please visit https://doterra.com/US/en/cptg-testing-process or come to one of our essential oil classes to learn more!